Thursday, March 6, 2008

Zen Habits interview with Stephen Covey

Zen Habits is one blog which churns out most useful content day after day. Mainly focussed on welbeing and productivity, this blogs is one of the best and most useful resources on this subject for a common man. Recently, Zen Habits interviewed Stephen Covey, the famous writer of '7 Habits of Highly Effective People'. Here is one answer which I liked very much (especially, the quote - "The greatest battles of life are fought out every day in the silent chambers of one’s own soul."). Read on -
ZH: To give us some insight into your life, what is your typical morning routine on a work day, that incorporates some of your principles into your everyday life?Covey: I make an effort every morning to win what I call the “private victory.” I work out on a stationary bike while I am studying the scriptures for at least 30 minutes. Then I swim in a home pool vigorously for 15 minutes, then I do yoga in a shallow part of the pool for 15 minutes. Then I go into my library and pray with a listening spirit, listening primarily to my conscience while I visualize the rest of my entire day, including important professional activities and key relationships with my loved ones, working associates and clients. I see myself living by correct principles and accomplishing worthy purposes. One of my favorite quotes is, “The greatest battles of life are fought out every day in the silent chambers of one’s own soul.” (David O. McKay) Much of this listening and visualizing work is very challenging, so I win the private victory when I have made my mind up and commit to live by correct principles and to serve worthy purposes.
Zen Habits
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

dannielo said...

If you would like to implement some of Stephen Covey's best ideas, you can give a try to this web aplication:

http://www.gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage and prioritize your Goals (in each of your life's categories), projects and tasks, in an intuitive interface. It has a Checklists section, for the repetitive activities you have to do, important but not urgent (Quadrant II, for example your routines/habits). Also, it features a Schedules section and a Calendar, for scheduling you time, activities and for the weekly review.

Some ideas from GTD are also present, like Contexts and Next Actions.

And it's available on the mobile phone too, so you can access it wherever you are.

Hope you like it.